Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Home Values from the end of the 19th century to 2006

This is an interesting graph because of the way they display the information with both a line graph and a bar graph. I think that the shading does not actually distract the eye from reading the information.
I also thought that it was unique because it gives a pretty long description of the graph and methods on the top, which means that one is not supposed to understand it by just looking at it at first glance? I also thought that tufte would approve of what the caption says, mainly the way that they have changed prices in accordance with inflation.
I'm also not sure why they have things labeled like "world war 11" ""world war 1" maybe they are trying to show that our home values go up when we're not at war or in a severe depression?it doesn't make sense to me that some of the columns are labeled as actual historical events and other columns are labeled as "1970s boom" or "1980s boom," we can see that from the graph that there is a peak, so unless it's adding new information why label it as a boom?

No comments: