Monday, April 21, 2008

More Baseball Graphs (fangraphs.com)

This is an interesting display. The time scale is at bats in a baseball game. The top graph shows the Win Expectancy (based on a number of simulations), and the bottom graph shows the Leverage Index. Roughly, that is the chance that a particular team will win, and the importance of the at bat, though neither statistic is well explained.

As a graph, I think it is very clean. I'm not sure why particular points are labeled and others aren't, but I imagine that it is algorithmic since the site can generate millions of graphs. I can also think of a number of extreme circumstances where the graphs might not work perfectly (in particular, for base stealing which doesn't happen at the end of an at bat), but on the whole I think it's really a very good graph. The only thing I'd particularly like to see would be a list of all at bats which is clickable so that various points can be highlighted on both graphs, and perhaps the ability to click a point on the graph and see which point it is on the list and the other graph (since I was having some difficulty tracing down from WE to LI).

No comments: