Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Ebb and Flow of Movies: Box Office Receipts 1986 - 2007 (NYTimes.com)

Check out this interactive graphic at the NYTimes website, in honor of this weekend's Academy Awards:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008/02/23/movies/20080223_REVENUE_GRAPHIC.html



The good:
  • It adjusts for inflation (so old movies have an equally good chance)
  • You can generally see the "ebb and flow" (IE summer is big for movies, so are the winter holidays)
The bad:
  • Have movie ticket prices kept pace with inflation? It might be the case that simple sales numbers are better. Then again, could everyone afford a movie as readily at the varying points in time?
  • I would have liked to see something other than just a description of the move when you click for "details".
  • While it looks cool to have zero in the center and an ebb and flow around it, it makes it hard to compare immediately adjacent time periods. I would have preferred to have zero at the bottom and/or equal expansion either side of the zero line.
  • For movies which have not closed yet (the frame in which the graphic starts), it might have been good to see a "projected total box office revenue" for the color, or simply not to have gone quite all the way to the present.
Overall:
  • This seems fun, and shows the overall trend. While not perfect, I think it accomplishes its goal.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Did anyone notice that the chunks got bigger and bigger? Perhaps an increasing trend in people going to the movies?

I liked that when you clicked on a specific movie it displays a link to the NYT review of the movie.

I don't understand why the zero-line is set in the middle and whether there is a distinction between curves below the zero-line or not.

AlyssaGoodman said...

I agree that the lack of meaning in the +/- from "zero" is disturbing to those of us used to +/- having meaning... maybe we should get over that, or maybe not?